I love sewing toys for kids! There is something extra special about a child snuggling something that you’ve made them, and it is even more fun when they’re old enough to help you pick out fabrics and details just to their liking. For this list, I focused on toys to sew for kids with busy hands! Lots of zippers, buttons, and elements to keep them occupied instead of a simple stuffed animal or doll.
If you need even more ideas of what to sew for kids, check out these posts:
- Patterns to sew for truck loving kids
- Handmade toys to craft for kids
- Free stuffie patterns that match up with beloved kids books in this post and a second post
- The cutest quilts to sew for kids
- 50+ free printable stuffed animal patterns
- 12+ DIY purse patterns to sew for kids
Pin this post of toys to sew for kids using this link or photo:
Cutest toys to sew for kids
These are all independent pattern designers’ shops, keep scrolling to see the list of free kid toy sewing patterns that is separated out after this section!
The cutest “quiet book” sewing pattern from Little Dear, isn’t it so sweet? I love the mushroom detail!
Adorable chicks or peas in a pod stuffed animal sewing pattern from Choly Knight, my kids would’ve loved this when they were little!
Kid City play set sewing pattern from Peek-a-boo Patterns
Clever 3-d puzzle animals felt sewing pattern from Felt With Love Designs (she has other sets, too!)
Super detailed and adorable doll house quiet book sewing pattern from Rebecca Page.
The sweetest little dinosaur stuffed animal sewing pattern with zipper eggs from Sweetbriar Sisters
My kids would’ve loved this as young toddlers! A discovery box sewing pattern from Pattern Play
Another zipper/button type toy, this time a sweet little caterpillar sewing pattern from Pattern Play
Twist on a classic plastic toy, with a fabric ring stacker sewing pattern from Pattern Play
Curious how this would actually be to play, but the idea is adorable, soft horseshoe set sewing pattern from Pattern Play
- Creative “sensory block” sewing pattern with a sweet bunny face, from Owlipop!
- Sweet little zip/snap/buckle penguin stuffed animal sewing pattern from Ruby Jean’s Closet
- Creative zip/snap/buckle fine motor toy seahorse stuffed animal sewing pattern from Ruby Jean’s Closet
- Pretty (and big!) mermaid stuffed toy sewing pattern with zipper/velcro/button elements from Ruby Jean’s Closet
- Such a clever “dress up doll” & carrying case sewing pattern from Ruby Jean’s Closet
Free toys to sew for kids
Upcycled free doll diaper sewing pattern here on Swoodson Says.
A DIY zipper toy for toddlers, here at Swoodson Says
Free fun arrow bean bags, here at Swoodson Says.
This one is technically no-sew but you COULD sew it if you wanted, an adorable felt mermaid quiet book from Sweet Red Poppy.
My kids would go nuts for this DIY castle playhouse at Fleece Fun.
A DIY toddler buckle toy here at Swoodson Says.
A quick and easy car toy belt at Sew What Alicia.
Everyone loves beanbags, and these are upcycled denim beanbags here at Swoodson Says.
Bunny Bowling Set from The Long Thread/Etsy
The cutest dino “hobby horse” pattern at Adventure-in-a-Box.
Quilted Tea Party Set from Instructables
For older kids, a DIY dinosaur matching game here at Swoodson Says.
So much fun for dress up, a diy felt fairy wand here at Swoodson Says.
This is crazy creative, a quilted snakes & ladders playmat from Threadistry.
Toy Superhero Cape from Swoodson Says
Last but not least, felt food is the best because it doesn’t hurt if they throw it! See some of Applegreen Cottage’s favorite free patterns