Coat refashions! Blazer refashions! If you have an outerwear garment that needs some updating, I have a whole list of tutorials and inspiration for you! Depending on where you live, jackets might go out of style before they show any where, so refashioning is a great way to makeover your closet. If you don’t have an upcycle stash, check out these tips for thrift shopping to upcycle & refashion before you hit up the store, and either way, read this post before you start your project:, 10 refashioning tips for successful sewing!
While you’re here, check out these other posts too!
- 15+ sweater refashions to recycle old sweaters into new clothes!
- 25+ ways to refashion purses & bags
- 20+ ways to refashion clothes that are too small
- How to redesign old jeans – 15 denim refashion ideas
- 24+ Men’s button down shirt refashion ideas
- 18+ creative t-shirt refashion ideas
Pin this round-up of how to refashion a coat or how to refashion a blazer with this link or collage photo; please click through to the original websites to pin individual photos!
Outerwear coat refashions
This refashion is great in my opinion because it is subtle! I would never wear the before but the after is pretty cute, even though the changes aren’t huge! See more at Trish Stitched.
My friend Heather refashioned her grandmother’s old coat, don’t you love how it turned out? See more details on her blog.
This is so fun and looks like it was there originally, perfect for covering stains too! Refashion tutorial from Sewing Rabbit on I am Momma- Hear Me Roar.
View this post on Instagram
This is a super simple refashion for visual inspiration, just dye it!
This is part alteration, part refashion; see how to add cuffs and make a jacket’s sleeves longer over at Heather Handmade!
Blazer and casual jacket refashions
No ‘before’ picture but picture your basic boxy blazer and then boom, the military inspired style above! Video tutorial at Paper Michey.
This is so creative! I would not have thought to add a scarf front like that, but with the matching cuffs it looks so neat, from Trish Stitched.
If you click through, you can see the designer inspiration for this fun jean jacket refashion over at Sew Much Love, Mary!
This would’ve never even occured to me but it looks so chic! A blazer to cape refashion from Paper Michey.
This is one of my all time favorites of Trish’s refashions, check out this blazer to moto jacket makeover!
The distressing isn’t my style, but other than that I love this makeover from Sew Much Love, Mary!
- A relatively simple crop job makes this brand new, from Refashionista.
- I’ve been thinking of doing the exact same thing; see a down jacket upcycled into a skirt from Pattern and Branch.
- If you don’t need any more coats, switch it up into a vest with this Merrick’s Art post.
- Shorten an old fashioned coat and add some ruffles, with visual inspiration from Tatertots & Jello.
- A super creative silhouette refashion in this blazer makeover from Joe & Cheryl.
- I wouldn’t have thought to add vintage fur, but it totally makes this coat look brand new, from Flashback Summer.
- Super chic refashion with designer inspiration, making a formal dress coat from three old coats at Makery.
- A very fancy bejeweled coat makeover from One Crafdiy Girl, perfect for holiday parties.
- If you like preppy style, this is such a clever blazer refashion from Charity Shop Chic.