Of all the things I’ve tried this year, foundation paper piecing is my favorite! Looking for free paper piecing patterns can be overwhelming; I am drawn to modern shapes and graphic animals. You can see my first attempt at foundation paper piecing in my TSNEM post here, as a part of my yearly Try Something New Every Month challenge.
As always, when preparing myself to try a craft technique I found loads of ideas and tutorials that were inspiring and wanted to share them!
Tutorials for Paper Piecing
- I haven’t used this yet, but I think it will be handy to know how to enlarge & reduce a pattern, from Sew Hooked
- This free pattern at Blossom Heart Quilts also has a tutorial – I like how she pointed out that pinning will skew the fabric a bit, and the trick of holding the pattern/fabric up to the light to see if it covers. Also how she used the ruler to fold the paper is nifty, easier than perforating the paper like the video tutorial that I used in my previous post.
- Sew What Sherlock has a “lazy way” tutorial that mentions tracing the pattern on both sides, which would’ve helped me on my first try! She also points out something as important that wasn’t mentioned in the other two – shortening the stitch length (which makes sense) and sewing past the seam allowance. I then read somewhere else, that I didn’t bookmark, to never sew into the seam allowance. Hmm. I’m not sure I have a firm enough grasp to know which makes more sense to me, do you know what is right? [Sarah elaborated a bit more in the comments – and maybe there isn’t a “right” just a preference thing!]
- Freezer paper is apparently not only for applique – check out this method for using it as a foundation, with a tutorial from Sandi at Piecemeal Quilts
Different tutorials seem to “require” different tools – I already use and love a rotary cutter and quilting rulers but I am going to look for a Clover finger press* at the fabric store next time I go, they look nifty.
On to the free paper piecing patterns!
Free paper piecing patterns
Feather style free paper piecing pattern from Blossom Heart Quilts
Hexagon Bee free paper piecing pattern from Badskirt
Cassette Tape free paper piecing pattern from Sewing Under Rainbow
Pumpkin free paper piecing pattern from 1/4″ Mark
Airplane free paper piecing pattern by Rashida Coleman-Hale for Art Gallery Fabrics
Microscope free paper piecing pattern* from borsedigaya via Craftsy
Abstract Modern Blocks free paper piecing pattern from The Long Thread
Herringbone Block free paper piecing pattern from Quiet Play
[picture kindly provided by Kerry Green of Verykerryberry]
Tiny House free paper piecing pattern from VeryKerryBerry
Cow free paper piecing pattern from Piecemeal Quilts
Concentric Heart free paper piecing pattern from The Tartan Kiwi
Free airplane paper piecing pattern from Quiet Play
Free starburst paper piecing pattern from Six White Horses
Free lipstick paper piecing pattern from I Am Lunasol
Free cat paper piecing pattern* from Sew Under A Rainbow
Free mermaid paper piecing pattern from Sewing Under Rainbow
Free pinwheel block paper piecing pattern from Ellis and Higgs
Free gnome paper piecing pattern* from Unicorn Harts
Free candy cat paper piecing pattern* from Unicorn Harts
Free penguin paper piecing pattern* from Unicorn Harts
Free flower paper piecing pattern* from Unicorn Harts
If books are more your thing, I have my eye on these two and will be checking my library for them: Playful Little Paper-Pieced Projects: 37 Graphic Designs & Tips from Top Modern Quilters* & Paper Pieced Modern: 13 Stunning Quilts • Step-by-Step Visual Guide*.
There are two Craftsy classes I found, one has over 100 positive reviews and includes a free e-book of 50 patterns, Mastering Foundation Paper Piecing with Carol Doak*, and the other seems newer but appears to be geared more towards beginners, Start Foundation Paper Piecing with Elizabeth Dackson*. Have you taken either of them? I’d love to hear if you have!
Normally in these round-up posts I only include free paper piecing patterns but there were too many amazing patterns for sale, so I wanted to include those too. I can’t decide which one to buy for my next attempt – I’m leaning towards the llama to make a couch pillow!
- Cow Pattern* from Bubblestitch
- Butterfly Pattern* from Lillyella Stitchery
- Hipster Cat* from Sewing With Squeak
- Leonard the Llama* from Sew What Sherlock
- Unicorn from Quiet Play
- Sewing Machine from Quiet Play
- Kestral* from The Tartan Kiwi
- Little Bear* from from The Tartan Kiwi
- Gemology Block* from SarahRose Quilts
- Also, ALL THE DINOS from Julia Eigenbrodt’s shop* (not pictured)!
Paper pieced pig sewing pattern* (not pictured) from Unicorn Harts
- Paper pieced heart sewing pattern (not pictured) from Sew What Alicia
Lastly, these quilts are just too cool. I still haven’t recovered from making my first full sized quilt, but I can’t shake the desire to have that lion hanging on my wall!
Forest Abstractions Quilt* from Violet Craft
Jungle Abstractions – The Lion Quilt* from Violet Craft