I will be chiming in each Saturday with a scrap busting post this May! I have been sewing, sewing, sewing which is awesome – but it also leads to more scraps. In the past I’ve used up scraps to make doll clothes and stuff handmade toys but I wanted to expand my scrap busting repertoire. I thought I’d kill two birds with one stone and start out with a Mother’s Day present; my Mom has been hand-sewing loads of hexagons so I figured a needle book might be of use!
I used Deanna at Sew McCool’s tutorial as inspiration, which you can find here. The fabric was originally from a fat quarter stack of Moda’s Bonnie & Camille, Scrumptious that I won through a giveaway at Fluffy Sheep Quilting. I used heavy-weight double-sided fusible interfacing,* because I had some on hand.
I’m really bummed, because it looked beautiful and perfectly square and then as I went to insert the KAM snap… it snapped. But only partially, and I couldn’t remove it without cutting it out. And re-doing the entire thing, fraying the edges and distorting the lines. Whine whine whine.
Anyways, I think the spine is a fun little touch, and the snap keeps it closed shut for travel. I have plans to make one for myself soon!
I never blogged about the original project the scraps came from, it was actually an ironing board cover that I made for my Mom’s birthday. It was super cold, snowy, and dark and I couldn’t get a decent picture to save my life. But here are a few of the bad ones!
I used Seraphym’s freebie quilting pattern for the top, which I found on Craftsy here* and then just replaced the body and end with strips instead of the checkerboard in the pattern. A thrifted wool blanket made a cheap, plush backing that I quilted underneath.
This picture was just when I was trying to figure out how far I had to zoom out, but it made me laugh so I’m including it. This sums up my feeling about cleaning:
Phew! Scrapbusting, quilting, and (lack of) cleaning confessions. I’d love to hear any of your favorite scrappy projects in the comments!