20+ thrift store painting makeover ideas to upcycle old art
Thrift stores are always full of art but it can be tough to find something that fits your aesthetic. If you’re feeling crafty, go hit up a secondhand shop and pick a painting to do one of these fun old art upcycle projects! How do you paint over a store bought painting? There’s no right answer. Scroll down my list to find holiday inspiraiton, modern inspiration, geeky inspiration, and more. The best part? If you don’t love how it turns out, paint over it, or donate it back and try again!
If you like this post, check these other out while you’re here!
- 20+ upcycled Halloween decor ideas
- 40+ ways to upcycle sweaters into something new
- 20+ upcycled purse tutorials
- What to do with old jeans – 45+ upcycle sewing tutorials
Pin this post of thrift store painting makeover ideas with this link or collage image, please click through directly to repin specific tutorials.
20+ thrift store painting makeover ideas
- Oliver Jeffers painted gorgeous paintings himself and then dipped them, but you could recreate this idea with a thrifted art piece.
- The tutorial doesn't exist anymore but use painter's tape and add graphic lines over top of paintings, a la this pin.
- Transform the background of paintings and turn them into pop art, from Lil Blue Boo.
- There are lots of true artists adding quirky creatures into old paintings; here is an article about an artist who adds Star Wars into old paintings, and I love this tiktoker who adds all sorts of things, here is an artist selling his work with a variety of additions.
- There is a tiktok trend of painting ghosts into thrifted art and it is so fun! here is one example!
- Not my aesthetic but I can appreciate the finished product, a makeover into an abstract painting, on tiktok.
- Adding stained glass on top of a painting or a mirror is super creative, like Ashleigh did on instagram.
- If you can't find original paint-by-numbers art pieces (I have two horse ones on my walls!) DIY one from a thrifted art piece, like this blogger.
- I love bright colors and this tutorial for making neon tweaks to a floral piece is brilliant.
- Another bright color makeover, this one seems really accessible, with simple dashes, on tiktok.
- I love how creative this is, mixing small toys and paint for a whole new painting vibe.
- Simple but stylish "dipping" idea.