35+ creative quilt label ideas – a list of quilt label tutorial ideas, quilt labels to buy, and quilt label inspiration.
Label your quilts!! I’ve come across so many beautiful handmade quilts at antique malls and thrift shops without any information about them (though I’m glad they weren’t thrown away, at least). I’ve been saved creative ideas over the years and now finished it up into a big list to share, including what to say on quilting labels as well as different methods for making diy quilt labels! Please let me know if you have ideas I didn’t cover, I’d love to keep growing this list of inspiration!
This is my label, though I don’t remember where I ordered them from, I think I have some room for improvement after resarching this more, haha. On a practical note, Martingale Books has some practical tips/tutorials on how to attach some of the common types of labels.
You’ll see examples below but for simplicity’s sake I’ll list the main ones here – there are several different ways to make a quilt label:
- machine embroidery
- hand embroidery
- inkjet home printer on paper
- handwritten label with a permanent fabric marker
- stamped label with permanent fabric ink
- storebought personalized labels
- patchwork pieced label
- fussy cut label
This was a labeled quilt I found at the thrift store 🙁 It lives on with us, loved and used!
If you’re wondering about adding quilting labels what to say, here are some ideas along with examples listed below:
- who made the quilt
- what year the quilt was made
- who the quilt was made for
- how long the quilt took to make
- care instructions/fiber content
- why the quilt was made
- meaningful quotes about the quilt or gifting the quilt
- the quilt pattern
- background information about when the quilt was made
Another idea if you want to do a smaller quilt label, is to then print my free journal template and include it in a card so they have fun info along with it!
If you want to pin this post, please pin this collage image or use this link — click through directly to the instagram posts or tutorials to pin individual photos so they don’t get wires crossed!
If you like this post, check out these other ones while you’re here!
- How to make a quilt from old clothes – 10+ ideas
- 15+ modern cat quilt patterns to sew!
- 10+ small quilting projects to make in a weekend!
- 30+ modern Christmas quilt patterns
- 25+ Valentine quilt patterns
- 14+ modern summer quilt patterns
- 25+ quilts to sew for kids
- 31 Modern Halloween quilts
35+ creative quilt label ideas
Intricate hand embroidered label
This is so, so pretty, can you imagine turning over a quilt and seeing this bonus work of art!
Custom cotton labels
You can buy your own personalized labels and keep it simple.
Fussy cut label
I love this fussy cut choice, it is so cute!
This is such a fun idea, to stamp your name on with fabric ink - here is another twist on the same concept.
Another personalized option you can buy
How to Make a Personalized Quilt Label with a Photo -
A tutorial for making a photo label!
This is such a clever idea, a whole yard of quilt labels!
Machine embroidery on a ribbon, this looks nice and tidy.
Fold over labels with designs
I love the details on here, they're so pretty!
I love the matching binding around this label!
Personalized Quilt Label
Another option to buy, she has a bunch of different designs to make things special.
I think this is so beautiful with the typewriter writing and pinked edges!
Fussy cut text label
Look how detailed this is, each letter is fussy cut!! Such a cool idea.
I think this is so beautiful and special to read more about where the person was at while making the quilt.
A whole book about quilt labels! Some of these look really neat in the preview!
I just love how this ties in to hand embroidery elsewhere on the quilt, it's beautiful work.
Another preprinted option, from Spoonflower this time.
Decorative stitch label
The stitching and care instructions caught my eye on this cute label!
A book of pattern transfers to stitch over and personalized your quilt.
Add an Embroidered Label to Your Quilt
A nice tutorial on hand embroidered label additions.
Another yardage option, with a more modern feel.
Pieced quilt label
I love the colors on this pieced label!
Handwritten quilt label
I love the handwritten details on here!
Beautiful patchwork label
A gorgeous patchwork label that echos the full quilt design, it is so pretty!
Beautiful bee label
I love the circular shape and machine embroidery details on this label!
Coordinating animal quilt label
I love how this doesn't exactly match but totally goes together, it's a beautiful style addition.
Adding a quote to this label stood our for me!
Cross stitched quilt label
How fun is this modern, minimalist cross stitched quilt label! I love it.
- You've seen me fabric ink stamp for clothing labels - here is a fun way to do it with a quilt label
- She doesn't share final label photos but you can get the gist of it, a narrow dresden label
- I thought the scrappy/improv vibe of this quilt label was unique
- Another beautiful patchwork quilt label idea
- Delicate, subtle hand embroidery elevate this beautiful label
- An extremely cool block-printed quilt label
- An EPP hexie label looks so good
- The look of this corner label is so pretty; she also has an IG tutorial on how to make it.
- A beautiful hand embroidered label
- This intricate label is patchwork and handwritten and hand illustrated, truly art