In our new house, my kids are sharing a room. Their bedding and curtains totally clashed with one another, so I’ve been brainstorming quilts that coordinate without matching. I came up with a bunch of cute quilt designs to let them look at and thought I’d share it! You can make any quilt pattern fun for kids with the right fabric choices, but these patterns are extra fun with animal designs, boats, trucks, etc.
If you need even more ideas of what to sew for kids, check out these posts:
- The cutest 25+ toys to sew for kids
- Handmade toys to craft for kids
- Free stuffie patterns that match up with beloved kids books in this post and a second post
- 15+ modern cat quilt patterns to sew
- 20+ shark sewing patterns & tutorials
- 35+ creative quilt label ideas
The free tutorials & patterns are separated out, at the bottom of the post!
17+ Modern quilts to sew for kids
Quirky crocodile quilt pattern by Sew Fresh Quilts – I love how graphic they are! My son is crazy about crocodile and alligators, so this is sure to be one of his favorites.
Super sweet sloth quilt pattern from Shiny Happy World – I love Wendi’s patterns and these sloths are so cheery, just begging for a snuggle.
Bear & gingham quilt pattern from Sew Fresh Quilts- A bear on this pattern is unexpected, and I love the contrast.
Sweet dacschund quilt pattern from Dahlia in Bloom – these are so stinking cute, perfect for any puppy loving kids.
Funky zebra quilt pattern from Tartan Kiwi Patterns – this one might be specific to my children, who have been watching Madagascar & Khoomba nonstop this summer. They’d love this bright zebra quilt!
Ballerina quilt pattern from On Williams Street – I love the tulle touch, this would be the sweetest quilt for any little dancers.
Monster applique quilt from Shiny Happy World, sewn here on Swoodson Says – this pattern is sooo much fun and perfect for beginners.
Cat quilt pattern from Sew Fresh Quilts – my daughter loves kitty anything, this is right up her alley.
- Hedgehog quilt pattern by Elizabeth Hartman – she has so many fun, modern animal designs, it is hard to choose a favorite!
- Super sweet ice cream quilt pattern by Missy Mack Creations – summery and sweet, I think all kids will love this one.
- Donut quilt pattern from Pen + Paper Quilts – maybe it is just me, but donuts = happiness.
- Magical dragon / mermaid / unicorn quilt pattern from Kid Giddy – fantasy loving kids will be in heaven with this detailed quilt!
- A modern alphabet quilt pattern from From Blank Pages.
- A Mickey quilt pattern for disney loving kids, from Sterling Quilt Company.
- A GORGEOUS paper pieced animal quilt I just love, from The Not So Dramatic Life.
- This tanagram animal quilt pattern would be perfect for minimalist parents, from Quilts by Catherine.
10+ free childrens quilt patterns
Free flamingo quilt pattern by Bev of Flamingo Toes – Both my kids have always loved flamingoes and her tutorials are so much fun.
Free cat quilt pattern from Shwin and Shwin Designs – super cute kitty with fun little modern glasses.
Free I Spy quilt tutorial at Sugar Bee Crafts – I spy quilts are a big hit for my family, and this is a really simple tutorial for making one.
Free dog quilt pattern at Sew Fresh Quilts – Super sweet puppy faces for dog loving kiddos.
Free butterfly quilt pattern via JOANN Fabric & Crafts – this is really unique and fun! My daughter would love to sleep under those giant wings.
Free puff quilt tutorial from A Crafted Passion – if you’ve ever felt a puff quilt, you’ll know they are squishy and fun, perfect for encouraging extra zzzs.
Free Lego quilt pattern(s) from Quiet Play – Star Wars all the time over here, they would go nuts for this free quilt pattern (I don’t even know all the characters??)
Free boat quilt pattern from Suzy Quilts – classic and pretty, this is a fun one for the boating obsessed kiddos.
Ocean animal quilt pattern from Shwin & Shwin – another cool applique design, that whale is beautiful.
Did I miss any of your favorite quilts to sew for kids? Let me know in the comments!