It’s the new year! Like most people, I love January as a time to declutter, organize, and freshen things up. I hate just recycling Christmas Cards – in the past I have made simple laminated gift tags. This year I wanted to brainstorm some new ideas, and love the creative Christmas card upcycling projects I found!
If you’re not crafty or don’t have time, don’t forget you can donate to the Recycled Card Program at St. Jude’s Ranch for Children. They reuse the cards as a fundraiser – less trash & charity fundraising is a win-win in my book
Check out these other posts while you’re here!
- 10+ upcycled Christmas ornaments to make from old clothes
- What to do with old jeans – 45+ upcycle sewing tutorials
- 25+ upcycle sewing tutorials that make great gifts
- How to Recycle & Upcycle Old or Broken Toys
I’d love if you pinned the collage with this link, but if you’re pinning individual images please click through to the original site first. If there isn’t a picture, that means I didn’t hear back from the owner about using it so you’ll have to jump over and see it on their blog!
Ways to upcycle old Christmas cards
The easiest thing to do is to turn them into new Christmas cards or thank you cards! You can chop them up and glue them on to blank notecards or use scrapbook paper to create a new inside or a new card back.
Turn them into gift tags! I used my laminator on these, and then you can write on them year after year; I’ve also made reusable fabric gift tags with a free template you can download, that would work for paper as well.
Christmas Sweater Gift Tags from Zakka Life – how cute are these!
I love the dimension on this idea, an upcycled sardine can ornament using old Christmas cards for the embellishments! Tutorial at Pillar Box Blue.
Mason Jar Toppers from Family Feedbag – Perfect for gifting jam next year.
Upcycled Gift Box from CraftyPod – A gift card would fit wonderfully in there! Her blog has shut down, but you could use this tutorial for the same effect.
I love these so much; see how to add old card cut-outs to log slices for festive magnets, over at Mod Podge Rocks.
Card Luminary from Zakka Life – their tutorial appears to have gone missing, but you can get the gist from this post.
Two ideas in one; an upcycled gem ornament and the cutest present toppers, all made from old cards over at Brit+Co.
Upcycled Paper Notebooks from Pearls & Scissors – I think these would be so cute with a Christmas card cover! Her blog has shut down but you could use this tutorial.
Clear Magnets from Ingenious Inkling – fun stocking stuffer for next year.
Upcycled Card Bunting from Maker*land – perfect cheap decor item!
Geometric Abstract Cards from Do Small Things With Love – These are beautiful!!
Frame the pretty Christmas cards, with this tutorial at Southern Couture
Another upcycled Christmas card bunting, at Average But Inspired
- Upcycled Christmas Card Ornament from The Ornament Girl – This look so pretty and how clever to use that as the base!
- If you need even more ideas, Better Homes & Gardens has a great slideshow with several fun ideas. Did I miss any of your favorites? Or do you receive mostly photo cards, which are tougher to upcycle?
- Christmas Card Wreath from Crafty Sy – I want to try this one, it is so bright and fun! I would try and use a paper punch though.
- Make festive decor with upcycled holiday card coasters, a tutorial from Ann’s Entitled Life
- I love bookmarks, make some for next year with these fun upcycled bookmarks from Zensible Mama
- Honestly I don’t know what I’d use these for but they are darling, little upcycled card bowls from My So Called Crafty Life
Saturday 27th of November 2021
So many great ideas! I’m so glad I have saved a few
Tuesday 31st of December 2019
Great uses for recycling cards. Always enjoy the projects that you post. Thanks.
Stephanie - Swoodson Says
Tuesday 7th of January 2020
Thanks Annita, that is so kind of you to say!
Wednesday 4th of January 2017
I just purchased a hexagon punch to make english paper piecing hexies from the cards which is the perfect weight.
Stephanie - Swoodson Says
Thursday 12th of January 2017
what a perfect upcycling idea!
Amy @ Family Feedbag
Tuesday 13th of January 2015
What a fun list! Thanks for including my jar toppers. - Amy @ Family Feedbag
Thursday 1st of January 2015
Great ideas Stephanie! I love reusing cards :)