How to make a diy sewing kit – an overview of the sewing kits for kids I made for my daughter!
My 7 year old has gotten more and more into sewing lately and slowly acquiring her own tools. I have a ‘makerspace’ set up with all the felt, fabric, and stuffing she needs (among other things) but finally pulled together a portable little kit with all the tools she needs to hand sew. This is the same kit and same supplies I would do the same thing for myself or any other adult working on hand sewing so I thought I’d share it! If you google ‘ what do you need for a beginner sewing kit? ‘ you’ll end up with some really zany lists full of things I’ve never even owned in the past decade of sewing, so this is the bare minimum, no frills list.
I have never seen a sewing kit or sewing box that you could buy assembled that included quality supplies, so unfortunately it’s worth the work to get the good stuff to make a sewing kit for a child that will last them until they’re adults, too! I have a full post all about beginner sewing supplies list that goes into more detail and includes supplies for machine sewing; this kit is focused on the bare minimum hand sewing supplies!
She loves having “her own sewing stuff” and has already taken the kit over to her Grandma’s to craft together!
If you like this post, you’ll also like:
- 20+ Easy beginner sewing projects
- 20+ easy sewing projects for kids
- 20+ cutest sewing kits for kids
- 10 Free simple embroidery patterns for kids
- 20+ ornaments for kids to make
Pin this tutorial for how to make a diy sewing kit with this link and image:
How to make a diy sewing kit
The most obvious component of this kit is the box! I couldn’t find one I liked in person; this one is off Amazon. Adding in after some comments on social media – there is a whole freestanding makerspace cabinet full of stuffing, felt, fabric, ribbon, sequins, beads, and buttons! So if we didn’t have that, I’d have to get a bigger kit and add those in too!
- Hand sewing needles [Shop: Amazon – JOANN]
- Sulky cotton petite [Shop: Amazon – JOANN]
- Thimble & regular glue stick
- A pincushion filled with pins [Shop: Amazon – JOANN]
- Magnetic wand [Shop: Amazon – JOANN]
- [Shop: Amazon – JOANN]
- Microtip + fullsize scissors set [Shop: Amazon – JOANN]
- Seam ripper[Shop: Amazon – JOANN]
- Measuring tape [Shop: Amazon – JOANN]
Last but not least, I wanted to cover up that awful logo, what better way than this adorable cat sewing machine sticker!!