Hoping to try leaf printing on fabric? I’m sharing how I used it to transform this grungy tshirt refashion tutorial! My husband works from home these days, but he keeps a tote of dress clothes for the periodic in person trips back to the office. The stack of his white undershirts has looked sadder and sadder each time he goes in, and I finally decided it was time to transform them into something new! I love how this turned out and will definitely be wearing it in the future. I had the idea of fern printing strike late at night, so I tromped out with my cellphone flashlight to clip them from our woods, I’m glad it paid off!
I think the shirt looks better on camera than it does in real life; there are lots of random paint and pen stains, yellow armpits (sorry, dear) and stretched out collars. I actually used 4 of his men’s large white tshirts and 1 random white tanktop from my upcycle stash; 1 shirt for the sleeves, 1 shirt for the flounce, and then 1 shirt for each bodice piece. I think I could’ve gotten away with 3 if they’d been crewneck. The random tanktop was because the white shirts weren’t stretchy enough to make a proper neckline!
If you love refashioning, check out these other posts too!
- 24+ Men’s button down shirt refashion ideas
- Five Tips for Thrift Shopping to Upcycle & Refashion
- 10 refashioning tips for successful sewing
- 13+ ways to refashion a plain t-shirt
- 12+ dress refashion tutorials
- Modern books on refashioning
This is the Waterfall Raglan by Chalk and Notch patterns! Here is what it looked like after I sewed it up and fern printed it! My original plan was to overdye it, like I did, but seeing the pink & white contrast had me seriously debating leaving it as is. What do you think, should have I?
Here is the final product! I wanted the ferns to be subtle and the color to be fun, check and check.
I really love the fit on this Waterfall Raglan pattern! Don’t judge it by this example; I had to piece the front & back since it was so wide, and the fabric paint made the fabric a touch stiffer and less swingy than I think it normally looks like.
I sewed a straight 6″ and was really happy with how it came together! I’m excited to try this in a drapier fabric and without the piecing, it’s super comfy.
Another shot of how the ferns read after dye! Ready to see how to do it yourself?
Pin this leaf printing on fabric – grungy tshirt refashion tutorial for later, using this link or collage image below.
Leaf printing on fabric – grungy tshirt refashion tutorial
First, a few things I wanted to remember for when I try this again or for anyone who’s trying it for the first time!
- The “puffy” fabric paint is not ideal when you’re mixing in dyes. I think it led to a weird discoloration with the heat; it’s not a common supply so stick to regular fabric paint!
- The seam allowance in the front piecing held extra dye, leaving some unevenness on the front of the fabric, I debated trimming it before I dyed and now I know it had an effect.
- Polyester thread doesn’t hold dye, which makes sense, but if you want your topstitching to blend in, sew it with whatever color your finished garment will be dyed.
I did not think that through, hence the contrasting white stitching.
Here you can see the discoloration, it’s subtle but annoying.
- Fabric paint – shop on JOANN – Amazon
- Brayer – shop on Etsy – JOANN – Amazon
- Rit dye – shop on Etsy – JOANN – Amazon
- Scrap fabric for a presser cloth
- Iron – shop on Amazon
- Dishwasher soap & salt, per the RIT instructions
- I didn’t have one on hand but they suggest using RIT dye fixative after dye.
- Big pot or tote
- Paint stir stick
- Gloves are suggested, I live on the edge and skip them usually
Step 1– First, cut up your seams! This will maximize your fabric. Some tshirts don’t have side seams, so just aim for the narrowest side under the armpit, and just cut one.
Step 2- I realized I wasn’t going to have enough fabric for the top’s bodice pieces, so I waffled between using a totally different fabric added in or piecing them together, landing on piecing them together. Here you can see me adding a seam allowance to the bodice piece instead of cutting it on the fold.
and then sewing it together, so I have a normal bodice piece as written in the pattern. I cut all my other pattern pieces, saving all the scraps.
Time to start stamping! My biggest advice here would be to experiment first. I initially thought I’d like the paint a little watery but duh, that just led to a blurry fern print (right). I wanted to do this dark blue under the pink but realized that I didn’t have enough of it to finish so on to plan B, as dictated by my supplies!
Step 3-I used a regular paintbrush and brushed paint on to one side of the fern.
Step 4– Then I laid it down, covered it with a scrap piece of tshirt material (any fabric will do) and rolled over it twice with a brayer.
Step 5- Then gently peel it up! I was really surprised by how well the ferns held up, I only lost one or two leaves throughout the entire process.
Step 6– Just a visual of how I printed on all the pieces! I wanted it to look organic, no pun intended, with the pieces starting and stopping over the edges, as if it was cut from a pre-printed fabric. You could just roll off the fabric or shuffle the pieces around so the fern is laying half on one and half on the other.
Step 7– Once all the printing is done, let it dry overnight. Then it’s time to heat set, per the fabric paint’s instructions! Use a presser cloth so your iron doesn’t get sticky.
Then, finish sewing the pattern together, and dye it! Dye isn’t complicated and I forgot to snap a photo, I just followed the instructions on the back of the RIT bottle and an empty tub. Ta-da! You’ve transformed grotty old shirts into something new for summer!