Looking for a quick Valentine’s Day gift? Stocking stuffer? Upcycled wool hand-warmers fit the bill! This set has an envelope back with an insert, so you can wash the outsides or replace the insides if they get gross/wet. They are a very quick sew and can be made entirely from scraps. You can see another pair I made recently as a gift in this post. I originally shared this tutorial on FleeceFun.com but I’m bringing it home today, with a bonus picture at the end of the post (ha!)
I also just shared a scrappy heart pincushion at So Sew Easy, so click over and check that out too.
- A thin wool sweater or scarf, prewashed/dryed for the outer heart
- A tshirt or other knit scraps for the inner heart
- Pattern Pieces
- Long-grain rice
- Scissors, thread, sewing machine, the usual suspects
1. Cut all pattern pieces as directed; layer two knit hearts on top of one another and sew with a 1/4″ seam allowance, leaving a small opening and making sure to backstitch at the beginning and end of your stitching.
2. Use a tiny funnel (can also use a straw or a rolled up paper) and fill with rice. Stitch the opening close, repeat for the second set of hearts.
3. Fold the straight edge of each overlapping piece over 1/4″ and stitch down to hem.
4. Lay the overlapping pieces over one another with the top piece in front, with right sides together, on top of the whole wool heart. Stitch around all edges with a 3/8″ seam allowance.
5. Flip right side out and squish in your insert!
The little envelope opening also provides a super cozy spot to stick your fingers, especially if you’ve had to take your gloves off to text or use your phone. I hope you dig out some old sweaters and sew up a few this winter!
Edited to add after a reader email: I only microwave the inserts, and usually heat them for about a minute. Everyone’s microwave is different so be careful as you figure out what your heat preference is!
My husband was kind enough to model the hand warmers for a man. Print the pattern at 200% and make them for rear pockets- a low-tech alternative to seat warmers!