Check out these other posts too!
- How to sew a scrunchie from old clothes
- How to upcycle a t-shirt into a stuffed animal
- The cutest 25+ toys to sew for kids
- How to upcycle baby clothes into a DIY Christmas ornament
Pin this free doll diaper sewing pattern for later using this link and collage image:
Ready to make your own? If you haven’t sewn knits before, experiment on some scraps to get tension right and a feel for how it feeds through your machine. I used a regular stitch on these since they don’t really need to stretch, but experiment with what feels right! If it looks a little wavy once you’re done, don’t panic, that’s what an iron is for.
Free doll diaper sewing pattern
- Small rotary cutter
- Ballpoint needles
- Iron – the cordless one I use
- KAM snaps or velcro
- Sewing machine – my fav for beginners
- pattern –sign up for my newsletter and get the free download once you confirm your subscription! If you’re already a subscriber, you can access the pattern with the password in each newsletter, in the resource library.
Step 1- Cut the clothes up along the side seams, laying your workable fabric out flat. Fold it in half nicely so nothing’s twisted and lay the pattern down along the fold, cut, repeat for a second piece.
Step 2- Pin or clip all the way around leaving roughly 3″ open (between the red clips), sew with 1/4″ seam allowance.
Step 3- Clip the bump-out curves like this! It will help it lay flat.
Step 4- Turn right side out and tuck the raw seam allowances inside, iron to press all seams and the opening.
Step 5- Top stitch all the way around!
Step 6- Your next decision is whether you want to use snaps or velco. Keep reading for velcro; if you’re doing snaps, I recommend putting the diaper on your doll/stuffed animal and marking there it needs to go.
Step 7- After inserting one snap where you marked, press it firmly into the other side so it leaves an indentation, showing you where to put the corresponding snap. Repeat for the other side.
Step 8- If you’re using velcro, I did 1″ pieces on the tabs and 2.5″ piece in the middle. Sew to secure and you’re done!