After two years of requests, I finally sewed a piece of clothing for my husband! He is a big University of Iowa fan and I scored this vintage knit fabric off of Ebay over a year ago (crossed it off my UFO list!). I was given this pattern for free after participating in the Lacy Slope sew along an equally long time ago, and I knew it was the perfect pattern to use this fabric.
Regular readers know I love Greenstyle – I’ve sewn their women’s hoodie, leggings, maxi skirt, and knit top in addition to using their balaclava pattern as an Ewok hood, an astronaut hood, and as wool winter gear. This shirt was just as easy to put together and sew! But read on for more details and photos.
He likes his clothes to be roomy and is always complaining about shirts riding up, so I made the longest hem and then added the band. Simple cuffs out of interlock instead of tighter ribbed ones, per his request.
The hood pattern piece is interesting! I’ve never seen/sewn one quite like it and I think I should’ve used my sewing machine instead of my serger to get a more subtle curve at the top; it’s a tiny bit gnome-ish.
I want to try this one for myself in the size small, too!
Pattern: Greenstyle Creations Hudson Hooded T-shirt* – sewn as the XXL
Price & Sizing: $9 & S-XXL
Fabric I use: Vintage Iowa interlock knit & Jo-Ann Fabric’s black poly-mix interlock knit
Changes I made: I added clear elastic around the entire neckline to stabilize it and keep it from getting droopy.
What I might do if I make it again: As mentioned above, I’d try to make the hood seams a little more subtle now that I saw it on.
Overall thoughts on the garment: Maybe he is just being nice, but he said he loves it! I sized up for a roomy fit and did the longest lengths and then added bands/cuffs. I think it looks great.
Overall thoughts on the pattern: It taped together easily and the directions were simple to follow. The only thing I think would be helpful to add is in placing the hood. From previous experience, I know that just overlapping and then sewing leads to it being off-center. I basted the hood all around, and basted the overlap. I then centered it, basted that point to the neckline, and then serged and I’m really happy with how it turned out.
Other versions I found online: