There are several different ways to make money with a craft or sewing blog and I’ve been working to consolidate resources and ideas in one spot! I hope you find some of the links below useful when you’re trying to figure out how to make money as a craft and sewing blogger! Do you know of something, somewhere, or someone I should have added here? Contact me!
There are links to relevant and helpful facebook groups, link parties, group pin boards, submission-friendly websites, affiliate programs, ad programs & media agencies, blogs that “talk business”, google+ communities, & blogging tools.
I’m always striving to improve, but you can see how much money I am making each quarter in my regular reports on traffic and income, all found here. I share my top methods for both making money and boosting traffic, below.
I also want to share that I’m a member of the Craft Industry Alliance – it is a unique community so I wasn’t sure which category to include it in! It is a trade organization for creatives, including bloggers, with a recurring online journal, private forum, and lots of resources – so check it out!
How to make money as a craft and sewing blogger – the mega, master list!
My top earning methods
- The Etsy Affiliate Program, join Affiliate Window here and then apply for the Etsy program.
- The Amazon Affiliate Program, join it here.
- The Bluprint (formerly known as Craftsy) Affiliate Program, join Shareasale here and then apply for the Bluprint program.
- I link to classes primarily, though they do have supplies and patterns as well; you can see an example here.
- Ads – I am a part of the Mediavine Ad Network, who I highly recommend and have written about here. I started out with Google Adsense and Amazon CPM ads, switching over once I had enough traffic.
- Selling my patterns – you can see my PDF sewing patterns in my shop! I sometimes contribute patterns to bundle sales or online magazines like One Thimble, and also have them in two different boutiques, UpCraft Club and You Can Make This as well as on Etsy.
- Sponsored posts – I predominantly work through Social Fabric or approach companies myself (example post here) but list several other agency options below.
- Freelance writing – I have moved away from this but in the past I have worked with several different companies and other blogs, writing tutorials for them on their own sites and linking to it from my own (example post here).
Affiliate Programs for craft and sewing bloggers!
Affiliate programs all have different terms, but pay you when someone clicks through and makes a purchase or signs up for something.
This is treated as income for you personally or if you’re registered as a business – please talk with your tax advisor, etc. about taxes. Also check out FTC regulations; there are different ways to indicate affiliate links but they need to be noted as such.
Annie’s Craft Store
- Become a Bluefig affiliate
Craft Industry Alliance
Create For Less
Ebates.com – now known as Rakuten see my post explaining what Ebates is all about here, it is amazing!
- Check out what Ebates has to offer (right now, money back at Joann’s, Amazon, Fabric.com) *
- Become an Ebates affiliate (register, sign-in, and click “tell-a-friend”) *
Free Craft Patterns
Fat Quarter Shop
- Shop Gotham Quilts here*
- Become a Gotham Quilts affiliate here
Groopdealz (sometimes has crafty stuff)
Ibotta – this is an app for cash back but offers cash back at JoAnn Fabrics
- See my post about using Ibotta on craft & sewing stuff
- Join their program here
Michael Levine Fabric
- Become a Michael Levine Fabric affiliate
Online Fabric Store
Organic Cotton Plus
- Shop OCP*
- Become an OCP affiliate
PicMonkey (online photo editing)
Online Quilt Guild
- See what the Quilt Guild is (connected to Patchwork Posse)*
- Become a Quilt Guild affiliate
The Confident Stitch
Therm O Web
Individual Sewing Pattern Designers
5 Out Of 4 Patterns
Cozy Nest Designs
- Visit E-Beth’s website to see what they’re about*
- Become an E-Beth Affiliate
Everything Your Mama Made & More
- Visit EYMM and see what they’re about*
- Become an EYMM affiliate
- Become an Interweave Affiliate
Itch To Stitch
One Thimble E-Magazine
Patterns for Pirates
- Visit P4P and shop around*
- Become a P4P Affiliate
Straight Stitch Designs
- Visit Swoon’s website to see what they’re about *
- Become a Swoon Affiliate
Welcome To The Mouse House
You Can Make This
Ad Programs & Sponsored Post Agencies
Blogher – ads
Clever Girls Collective – sponsored posts
Google Adsense – ads
Martha’s Circle – ads
Mode (formerlyGlam) Media – ads
Pollinate Media – sponsored posts
Social Fabric – sponsored posts
Ways to Network, Connect, & Promote
My top promoting methods
- For the record, most of my biggest boost are group boards or groups that aren’t currently accepting more members! I also get a huge bump in traffic by using Tailwind* – it is a scheduling service that also has a ‘tribes’ feature, allowing you to easily repin other members’ content.
- I always submit my tutorials to Craft Gawker, Craft Gossip, All Free Sewing, and Sew Can She!
Be sure to read the rules – some groups only allow link sharing on certain days or in certain places!
- Craft Your Blog: Bloggers Central
- Sewing/Craft/Creative Bloggers Group (No link! I created & am the admin for this group on Facebook, I set it to ‘secret’ because I was tired of weeding through 20+ membership/spam requests a day. Email me and I’m happy to add you.)
- While She Naps Softie Designers Forum
- Stitch Smarter
- There are SO MANY out there and honestly I have stopped using any but SewCanShe‘s on Saturday! I had trouble keeping this list current because so many folded or took long breaks. Let me know if you have a regularly occuring linky party I can list here.
- Pam at Threading My Way has ongoing link parties that I like checking out and participating in, as well!
Group Pin Boards:
Boards that are welcoming new members!
- PDF Patterns (Full disclosure: I created & am the admin for this board!)
- So Sew Cute
- Sewing Tutorials & Tips
- Get Pinspired with Crafty Bloggers
- A Refashion Obsession
- Teen Crafts
- Free Sewing Patterns
Websites That Accept Submissions
Some of these just feature tutorials, linking to you, and some are looking to publish it in full, read through and ask for more details if the page is unclear!
- 30 Minute Crafts
- All Free Christmas Crafts
- All Free Holiday Crafts
- All Free Kids Crafts
- All Free Sewing
- Apartment Therapy
- Craft Gawker
- Craft Gossip
- Cut Out and Keep
- DIY Candy
- DIY Cozy Home
- DIY Ready
- Dollar Store Crafts
- Fave Crafts
- Fave Quilts
- Free Quilt Patterns
- Fun Family Crafts
- Geek Crafts
- Get Crafty
- Inspiration DIY
- Just Bright Ideas
- Scrappy Girls Club
- Sew Can She
- Sewing 4 Free
Ways To Learn & Grow
Blogs that talk crafting business
- Oh My! Handmade
- Sew Mccool (not active, but archived content)
- While She Naps
- Crafterminds (not active, but archived content)
- I post here from time to time, see the posts here
- Craft Industry Alliance’s blog
Blogging Tools I Use
- Name Cheap *- where I bought my domain!
- PicMonkey *-online photo editing with cute fonts, easy collages, and neat effects
- Siteground hosting* (for my other site! I use Techsurgeons for this one, but recommend Siteground as well)