How to mend a rip in jeans with hand embroidery – a mending tutorial for beginners!
Trying out a new method of mending with hand embroidery, how do you like it! I’m always experimenting with a never-ending supply of torn clothes from my kids, and I love how this turned out. You could use any silhouette with the same technique and it’s all done by hand. This would actually be a fantastic project for an older kiddo or teen too, start them mending young!
If you like this post, you’ll love these while you’re here!
- How to mend jeans by hand – diy beetle patch tutorial
- How to mend jeans by hand without a patch
- Favorite Hand Embroidery Tools
- How to mend a hole – 20+ creative inspiration & tutorials
- Denim mending reverse applique tutorial
You can see another mend on the other leg- this is a stamped tshirt scrap, similar to this tutorial and stamped like this tutorial. Aren’t they cute!
Pin this tutorial for how to mend a rip in jeans with hand embroidery with this link or image:
How to mend a rip in jeans with hand embroidery
- Matching fabric scrap
- Pinking shears if the scrap you’re using is woven
- Embroidery needles that fit your floss – I used these
- Embroidery floss – I used this
- A template! I used the beetle background from this post, where I used it as a patch
- Water soluble pen
Step 1- Cut a scrap larger than your hole – I used pinking shears on the edges of mine which was denim and would fray.
Step 2- Slip it inside the pant leg and baste it in place, covering all edges of the hole. It’s best to make this a bright color different from the rest, because it’s temporary.
Step 3- Lay our your silhouette and trace!
Step 4- Stitch stitch stitch! I like hiding my starting and ending knot going in through the hole, so there’s nothing bumpy on the inside.
Step 5- Use water to get rid of the outline and fill in more if desired, then cut all the basting threads out.
Step 6- Use pinking shears to trim the back if desired and they’re ready to wear!
Friday 7th of April 2023
Such great tips and ideas!! Thank you for sharing!!
Stephanie - Swoodson Says
Monday 10th of April 2023
Thanks for reading :)